Enhance Your Smile with Treatment for Overlapping Teeth
Overlapping teeth can draw negative attention to the smile, leaving many feeling insecure and unhappy with the appearance of their smile. Fortunately, treatment from Dr. Bruce Wilderman can help. Dr. Wilderman offers the latest advances in cosmetic dentistry to improve dental flaws and enhance the appearance of the smile. Today, we take a look at some of the most effective treatments for overlapping teeth. To find out which treatment for overlapping teeth is right for you, contact our Philadelphia, PA office today.
What Causes Overlapping Teeth?
Overlapping teeth may be genetic or caused by certain habits. If overlapping teeth is seen in multiple family members, it's quite likely an inherited trait. Overlapping teeth that are acquired may be caused by habits such as prolonged thumb sucking, pacifier use, or bottle use. A missing tooth can also cause the teeth to overlap as a result of the remaining teeth shifting.
Treatments for Overlapping Teeth
For those who are unhappy with the appearance of overlapping teeth, dental treatments are available to straighten the teeth and enhance the smile. Some of the most effective treatments for correcting overlapping teeth include:
- Braces: Traditional orthodontics using braces can straighten the teeth and eliminate overlap. Treatment with traditional orthodontics involves attaching brackets and wires to the teeth. These wires are strategically tightened to straighten the teeth and correct alignment. The length of treatment will depend on the severity of overlap and alignment issues but may take 12 months or longer.
- Invisalign®: If overlap isn't severe, Invisalign® may be a viable option. Invisalign® provides orthodontic treatment without the use of metal braces. Instead, Invisalign® uses clear trays to gradually improve alignment and straighten overlapping teeth.
- Porcelain veneers: For teeth that are mildly overlapped, porcelain veneers may offer a solution. Porcelain veneers are custom-made, tooth-shaped shells that cover the surface of the teeth to improve the shape, size, color, and alignment of individual teeth.
The Benefits of Treating Overlapping Teeth
Treating overlapping teeth offers many benefits to those who are unhappy with the appearance of their smile.
- Improved appearance: Overlapping teeth can make the smile look less than perfect. Straightening overlapping teeth can help improve the smile's appearance.
- Improved oral health: When one or more teeth overlap, it can make properly brushing and flossing the teeth difficult, increasing the risk of gum disease and tooth decay. By eliminating overlap and straightening the teeth, it's easier to remove plaque from the teeth and gum line to keep the smile healthy.
- Improved alignment: Overlapping teeth can lead to issues with alignment, making it painful or uncomfortable for some to eat. Straightening overlapping teeth can improve alignment and alleviate the symptoms of poor alignment.
- Improved confidence: Correcting overlapping teeth improves the smile' appearance, which can give a huge boost to confidence.
Is Treatment for Overlapping Teeth Right for You?
For more information about treatment for overlapping teeth and to find out which treatment is right for you, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Wilderman.