You've likely heard about porcelain veneers before, one of the great versatile options out there for advanced dental aesthetics and smile design. Not only can porcelain veneers give you the smile of your dreams, they can also make you look absolutely flawless and even years younger. A beautiful smile is an effective option for anti-aging treatment.
While porcelain veneers are stain resistant, that doesn't mean that patients can just ignore their dental hygiene. In fact, your cosmetic dentist will have a number of recommendations for proper aftercare. Let's take a few minutes right now to go over some of the basics.
About Porcelain Veneers
First of all, a brief explanation about porcelain veneers. Porcelain veneers are thin shells of dental ceramic that are designed to hide major aesthetic flaws in your smile. When in place, the porcelain veneers are virtually undetectable.
Why Aftercare is So Important
Porcelain veneers are meant to be a permanent solution for smile makeover care. Patients need to be committed to proper hygiene in order for the results of porcelain veneers treatment to remain aesthetically pleasing.
Basic Tips for Great Results
Here are some basics to keep in mind:
- Practice regular dental hygiene - Just because you've undergone cosmetic dentistry treatment doesn't mean you can neglect basic dental hygiene. You still need to brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss every night in order to keep your smile looking great and healthy.
- Buy the right toothbrush - Even with porcelain veneers in place, the right toothbrush makes a difference. Be sure to use a toothbrush that has a small head and soft bristles. This will help prevent major abrasion of the teeth.
- Visit your dentist twice a year - One of the most crucial things that you can do is visit your dentist for regular checkups. This will help address minor dental health issues before they become serious ones, and it's a key for proper preventative treatment.
Some Things You Should Avoid
As your dentist will tell you after getting porcelain veneers, there are a number of things that you should avoid doing. Yes, porcelain veneers are durable, but by abiding by the following tips, you will ensure a great smile for years to come.
- Avoid chewing objects you shouldn't - It may be a force of habit for you to chew on pen caps, fingernails, and ice, but you need to drop those bad habits to make sure you have a fine smile for years to come.
- Be wary about foods that cause stains - While the porcelain veneers are stain resistant, your normal teeth aren't, and discoloration can make the veneers stand out. Be sure to be wary about coffee, tea, red wine, curries, and so on, and to brush your teeth after having these foods/beverages.
- Quit smoking and the use of tobacco products - This is just good health advice in general, but by avoiding tobacco products, you can have a beautiful smile that won't be stained or ruined by ugly yellowing.
Learn More About Cosmetic Dentistry
For more information about cosmetic dentistry treatment options and how porcelain veneers can give you the smile that you have always wanted, be sure to contact our Doylestown dental care center today. Our entire team looks forward to meeting you in person and discussing options for care in greater detail.