A Routine Dental Cleaning and Examination Can Protect Your Oral Health
Although practicing good oral hygiene at home through brushing and flossing can help keep your teeth healthy, a professional dental cleaning is the only way to remove plaque buildup from your teeth and gums. If unhealthy bacteria are left untreated, cavities, gum disease, and other serious dental complications can occur. Combined with a healthy oral hygiene regimen, a dental cleaning and examination by Dr. Bruce Wilderman at his Philadelphia, PA-area, practice is the first step to achieving and maintaining a clean and healthy smile. Research has proven that there is a direct correlation between oral and physical health. By visiting your dentist every six months, you can protect the long-term health of your smile, as well as minimize your risk of developing other serious health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.
The Importance of Preventative Care
During your routine appointment at Artistic Expressions Dentistry, a hygienist will clean and polish your teeth and use state-of-the-art digital x-ray technology to evaluate the health of your teeth and gums. Dr. Wilderman will then review the x-rays for any signs of tooth decay or infection, perform an oral cancer screening, and speak with you about the health of your smile. If any cavities are detected, he may recommend a tooth-colored filling to repair and strengthen your tooth.
By visiting your dentist every six months, you can protect the long-term health of your smile.
It is important to schedule these preventative exams every six months so that any serious oral health issues may be detected in their earliest stages. Similarly, by having x-rays once a year, Dr. Wilderman can compare past images to current ones, allowing him to note any decline in your oral health.
What to Expect During a Cleaning and Exam
Your professional cleaning and examination will include:
- Digital X-rays: We use digital x-rays and intraoral cameras to determine the health of your teeth and gums. Compared to traditional x-rays, intraoral cameras provide 80 to 90 percent less radiation and higher resolution imaging for early detection of tooth decay.
- Cleaning: Plaque buildup around the teeth and gum line can cause an array of health conditions, including tooth decay, gum disease, bone degeneration, halitosis (bad breath), and tooth loss. One of our trusted hygienists will use special dental tools to gently remove the plaque buildup from the surface of your teeth, in between teeth, and along the gum line. The hygienist will then clean and polish your teeth using a special toothpaste and high-powered toothbrush. This will help eliminate any remaining plaque and brighten your smile. Your hygienist can also provide fluoride treatment to prevent cavities. If any gum recession resulting from aggressive teeth brushing is noted, the hygienist can instruct you on proper brushing techniques and recommend a particular toothbrush or toothpaste to help protect your smile.
- Examination: Once your teeth have been cleaned, Dr. Wilderman will then evaluate your medical history and overall health. Pregnancy, diabetes, and certain medications can affect your oral health, so be sure to mention any recent changes to him. He will then carefully review your x-rays for any abnormalities, such as decay, fractures, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder, and bone degeneration.
- Oral Cancer Screening: During the examination, Dr. Wilderman will conduct an oral cancer screening and check your head, neck, jaw, and mouth for any lesions, lumps, or other signs of oral cancer. Early detection can prevent costly procedures and significantly increase your chances of survival.
- Treatments: Each exam is unique to the individual but your treatments could include certain diagnostic, cosmetic, and restorative procedures, such as tooth-colored fillings, scaling and root planing, dental crowns, nutritional counseling, periodontal treatment, dental sealants, or teeth whitening.
Schedule Your Preventative Exam
If you haven’t seen the dentist in some time, Dr.Wilderman and the hygienists at Artistic Expressions Dentistry can help you make your oral health a priority. Call our office at (215) 631-3085 or contact us online today to schedule your dental cleaning and examination.