How Long Do Porcelain Veneers Last?
When considering porcelain veneers, patients often ask, “how long do porcelain veneers last?” You, of course, want to make sure you are making the best decision for your smile and your bank account. There are several factors that affect the longevity of porcelain veneers, but they typically last between 10 and 20 years in most cases.
At Artistic Expressions Dentistry, we customize veneers to be the exact shape, size, and color you desire. If you are a patient in Philadelphia, Bucks County, or Doylestown, PA, our team can help you achieve the attractive smile you deserve.
Longevity of Porcelain Veneers
While the American Dental Association says that porcelain veneers can last 10 years, proper care can increase the longevity of your veneers to upwards of 20 years. Veneers are a permanent cosmetic solution to flaws in your smile. Since enamel is removed during the veneer procedure, the process is irreversible and broken veneers must be replaced.
Porcelain vs. Composite Veneers: Which Lasts Longer?
Our practice offers porcelain veneers because they are more durable than the composite option. While porcelain veneers can last 10-20 years, composite veneers only last an average of 5-7 years.
Aside from longevity, porcelain veneers have several additional advantages. Composite resin stains easily, while the smooth, polished surface of porcelain veneers effectively resists staining and keeps your teeth looking bright.
Porcelain veneers are also more natural-looking than composite. They reflect light in a way that resembles your natural teeth and are fully customizable.
Prolonging the Lifespan of Porcelain Veneers
How long your porcelain veneers last is highly dependent on how well you care for them. To increase the longevity of your veneers, here are a few practical tips:
- Teeth are not tools. Do not use your teeth to open things or chew on non-food items like pens or fingernails. This can cause your veneers to chip or crack prematurely.
- Cut out tobacco products. While porcelain veneers are resistant to stains, chewing tobacco or smoking can cause your pearly whites to turn yellow.
- Brush and floss daily. Good oral hygiene is the best way to preserve the longevity of both your natural teeth and your veneers.
- Use a soft toothbrush. Soft-bristled brushes will help keep your teeth clean without wearing down the porcelain.
- Wear a mouthguard. Teeth grinding can cause your veneers to crack, so wearing a mouthguard at night can prevent you from damaging your veneers and natural teeth while you sleep.
- Avoid hard or crunchy foods. While veneers allow you to eat most of your favorite foods, you can keep them intact by not biting down on hard foods like candy or ice.
Take the Next Step for Your Smile
If you are insecure about cosmetic defects in your teeth, porcelain veneers may be the solution you need. Our knowledgeable team is here to provide the information you need to help make your porcelain veneers last a lifetime. During the initial consultation and after your procedure, you can rest assured knowing that you won’t leave the office until all of your questions have been answered.
With over 30 years of experience, Dr. Bruce Wilderman takes pride in providing the community with state-of-the-art dental care. Learn more about how porcelain veneers can improve your smile today! Call our office at (215) 340-1199 or send us a message.