Cleaning Invisalign Aligners
Thanks to Invisalign®, adults and teens in Doylestown, Philadelphia, and all of Bucks County, PA can experience the benefits of orthodontic treatment without the brackets and wires. Invisalign uses clear plastic aligner trays to straighten the teeth, allowing you to smile with renewed confidence. It’s comfortable, simple, and doesn’t interrupt your normal routine.
Dr. Bruce Wilderman provides Invisalign patients with proper eating and care instructions to ensure proper treatment with as few problems as possible. The team at Artistic Expressions Dentistry would like to go cover some basic cleaning information for Invisalign aligners. We can provide more information on the process during your consultation at our practice.
The Importance of Cleaning Your Invisalign Aligners
Cleaning your Invisalign aligners is essential for the success of the treatment. You should regularly clean your Invisalign aligners for the following reasons:
- Keep the Aligners Invisible - Invisalign aligners can become stained if they are not properly cleaned. Good hygiene practices help invisible orthodontics remain invisible.
- Prevent Bad Breath - Food particles that remain on Invisalign aligners can lead to lingering bad breath. Good cleaning and care keeps you mouth fresh and clean.
- Prevent Tooth Decay - When food particles remain between your teeth or on aligners, it can increase the chances of developing cavities and serious tooth decay.
- Prevent Gum Disease - Gum disease is also a danger to consider when oral bacteria is given a chance to thrive in the mouth.
How Often Should I Clean My Aligner Trays?
For most patients, cleaning Invisalign aligners once a night should suffice. Additional cleanings may be recommended as needed, such as between meals. Use your best judgment, and perhaps err on the side of cleanliness.
The Right Way to Clean Your Aligner Trays
To properly clean your Invisalign aligners, follow these steps:
- Remove your aligner trays from your mouth
- Rinse off the aligner with cold water
- Brush the aligner clean using a fluoride toothpaste (be sure to use a toothbrush with soft bristles to avoid scuffing the trays)
- Rinse off the aligner thoroughly before putting it back in your mouth
There are also proprietary Invisalign cleaning products, but a toothbrush and toothpaste will suffice for most patients.
Can I Use Denture Cleaner on My Invisalign Aligners?
You don’t need denture cleaner to keep your Invisalign aligners clean and free from food particles. Regular brushing and rinsing will suffice.
Practice Good Oral Hygiene During Invisalign Treatment
In addition to cleaning your aligner trays, you should continue to practice good oral hygiene, Be sure to brush your teeth at least twice a day and to floss your teeth at least once a night. Ideally, you should brush and floss your teeth after every meal.
Make sure your mouth is rinsed, clean, and there are no food particles on your teeth before putting your Invisalign aligner back on. Always rinse your aligner with cold water before putting it back in your mouth.
Learn More About Invisalign
If you live in Philadelphia or the Bucks County area and would like more information on Invisalign and how it can help you, be sure to contact an experienced cosmetic and restorative dentist. You can reach Artistic Expressions Dentistry in Doylestown by calling (215) 712-8345. Our team is here to help you.